This fall we are launching a culinary cultivation series designed to provide you with cooking skills along with nutrition education. Each month we will explore different foods, how to prepare them and their nutrition benefits. You will enjoy tasting the recipes Senior Executive Chef Omo prepares, receive recipe information and nutrition information provided by our Registered Dietitian Christine Carlson. Payment for classes can be made using Meal Plan, cash or credit. All payments may be made at Nrich Urban Market (located in SUMC Food Court just next to Einstein's Bagels). Classes are open to Students, Faculty & Staff. If you are unable to attend a class but have already signed up, you may send someone in your place but we are unable to offer refunds. Each class is limited to 25 participants.
All classes are held at Student Union Memorial Center Sonora Room 143 (lower level) Culinary Studio. Two different times are offered for classes (12:00 noon or 5:00 pm). When you sign up, you will be asked to select a time.
Click here to Sign Up
Culinary Cultivation Series
- September 26th - Root to Stem Cooking – explore plant based cooking using a variety of vegetables and fruits; Nutrition foundation – benefits of plant based/vegetarian diet
- October 18th - Breakfast basics – prepare healthier, nutrient dense quick breakfast options; Nutrition foundation – healthier breakfast options and benefits of eating breakfast
- November 8th- Soups – discover how to create a one-pot meal starting with a simple vegetable stock; Nutrition foundation – healthy soup bases to build upon to create a one-pot meal
- December 6th – Desserts – discover healthier options to satisfy your sweet tooth; Nutrition foundation – sugars and empty calorie vs nutrient rich
- January 17th - Seafood & Poultry – explore lean proteins, how to prepare them using healthier cooking methods and season them with herbs and spices; Nutrition foundation – healthier cooking methods and seasoning with herbs and spices
- February 7th– Stir-Fry – create easy to make stir-fry using what you have on hand; Nutrition foundation – easy, healthy cooking on a budget
- March 14th – Grains - explore the benefits of eating whole grains, various types of grains and how to prepare them; Nutrition foundation – benefits of whole grains and fiber
- April 11th – Salads – create flavorful, healthier salads; Nutrition foundation – improved nutrient richness & healthier fats
Click here to Sign Up