Our award winning culinary cultivation series designed to provide you with cooking skills along with nutrition education will begin in in the fall. Each month we will explore different foods, how to prepare them and their nutrition benefits. You will enjoy tasting the recipes Senior Executive Chef Omo prepares, receive recipe information and nutrition information provided by our Registered Dietitian Christine Carlson. Payment for classes can be made using Meal Plan, cash or credit. All payments may be made at Nrich Urban Market (located in SUMC Food Court just next to Einstein's Bagels). Classes are open to Students, Faculty & Staff. If you are unable to attend a class but have already signed up, you may send someone in your place but we are unable to offer refunds. Each class is limited to 25 participants.
All classes are held at Student Union Memorial Center Sonora Room 143 (lower level) Culinary Studio. Workshops are offered at 5 pm.
Click here to Sign Up
Culinary Cultivation Series
- September 19th - Root to Stem Cooking – explore plant based cooking using a variety of vegetables and fruits; Nutrition foundation – benefits of plant based/vegetarian diet
- September 25th - Coffee & Teas – learn about various types and flavors of coffee and teas; Nutrition foundation – coffee & tea health benefits and myths
- October 17th - Breakfast basics – prepare healthier, nutrient dense quick breakfast options; Nutrition foundation – healthier breakfast options and benefits of eating breakfast
- October 23rd - Cooking on a Budget – create delicious meals with budget-minded groceries incorporating fall/winter seasonal recipes; Nutrition foundation – shopping for affordable, healthy ingredients
- November 7th- Soups – discover how to create a one-pot meal starting with a simple vegetable stock; Nutrition foundation – healthy soup bases to build upon to create a one-pot meal
- November 13th - Product & Equipment Identification – learn the names of uncommon foods, seasonality of when to purchase specific produce items and the names of gadgets; Nutrition foundation – fresh, unique items and how to prepare them
- December 5th – Holiday Gift Ideas – explore how to make healthier, edible gifts; Nutrition foundation – healthier options for gift giving
- January 29th - Sushi Basics – learn about sushi ingredients and how to make your own sushi; Nutrition foundation – ingredients to build a healthier sushi roll
- February 19th - Mediterranean Cooking – discover Mediterranean recipes and learn preparation techniques; Nutrition foundation – benefits of a Mediterranean diet
- March 19th - Pickling 101 – learn how to preserve fruit and vegetables; Nutrition foundation – benefits of pickled items
- April 16th - Grilling – explore marinating, barbecuing and cooking on open flames; Nutrition foundation – healthier ways to add flavor and texture to your meal
Click here to Sign Up