In 2015, the University of Arizona became one of 38 universities to participate in the Partnership for a Healthier America's Healthier Campus Initiative. The Student Union Culinary Team in partnership with Campus Recreation, Campus Health, Disability Resource Center, Life & Work Connections, and Parking & Transportation have made a commitment to complete 23 wellness-based criteria over the course of a 3-year period.
Criteria specific to nutrition includes:
- Provide healthier food and beverage services in campus-operated dining venues every operational day:
- Offer on the menu4 a minimum of one (1) wellness meal at each breakfast, lunch and dinner meal (if served).
- Offer a minimum five (5) types of fruits, five (5) types of vegetables and two (2) 100% whole grain products at both lunch and dinner (if served).
- Offer only a total number of fried foods that does not exceed the total number of platforms available at both lunch and dinner (if served) across all venues.
- Identify food and beverage items using one (1) of the following strategies:
- Label food and beverage items offered with calories per serving at the point of presentation; OR
- Designate healthier food and beverage options using a healthy icon at the point of presentation.
- Offer a plant-based food option at every platform serving meat.
- Offer tray-less dining as the default system in at least seventy-five percent (75%) of dining venues.
- Offer one (1) of the following healthier catering menu options:
- Offer a minimum of three (3) types of fruits, three (3) types of vegetables, two (2) 100% whole grain products and no more than two (2) fried items on catering menus; OR
- Offer a healthier catering menu that only includes foods and beverages that meet healthier food and nutrition guidelines.
- Ensure the percentage of healthier beverage purchases (in dollars) is a minimum of sixty percent (60%) of total beverage purchases (in dollars) for catering.
- Make free water available in all dining venues and all educational/physical activity facilities.
- Make available Registered Dietitians (RDs) for personal nutrition assessments and counseling to all students.
The Student Union teamed up with Campus Rec and Dannon to put on a yogurt tasting and yoga class event.